Hotel

Saturday 4 April 2015

How does one recover?

How does one recover?

In my last blog I asked but didn't fully answer the question that the title of this blog asks.

It's been 40 years of recovery since aneurysms changed my life forever.

At 14 they started leaking and at 18, they ruptured and required 7.5 hours of surgery to remove the AVM
(ArterioVenous Malformation) over my temporal region of my brain.

In those 40 plus years, I have found that unfortunately, for the majority, help is few and far between.
If you are rich and can afford therapists, neuropsychologists, neurologists and surgeons then the world is your oyster.
If you are not, then there is immediate help.
If you are severely compromised, then rehab will continue for as long as there is medical coverage or insurance.
If you are high functioning then the walls come tumbling down.
Welcome to Humpty Dumpty and all the Kings horses.
You are not only in a fairy tale but a nightmare where you may never awake from.

You need support.  Both you and your caregiver.
You need legal advice before you sign off from any insurance claim.
You need advocacy to guide you through this frightening place from which you find yourself in.
You need respite as a caregiver so that you don't burn out.

In all my years, I have learned more from one place than from any book, any therapist any neuropsychologist I have seen.
In fact I have probably taught them more than they are willing to admit.
The best answers and best insights I gleaned into understanding myself came from brain injury support groups.  
I learned so much from my local group I became President.
Online groups also are very therapeutic.
We know what you are about to go through and may suggest a therapy or a resource that helps.
Most rewarding is the acceptance and friendships that develop.  
You too may find, quite by accident, that you inspire or help with your knowledge.

So, my first, my only true recommendation is through those who have walked the walk and speak your language, the language of the brain injured and that of the caregiver.  
Join one today.

Here's one I recommend.

TBI Survivor Support/My Friends Who Know

Search for this private group in Facebook

You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment